Thursday, April 2, 2020

Hope



Dear Clients and Friends, One event years ago taught me that no matter how big a mess our lives are in, there is a powerful force that turns pain and turmoil into lovely blessings.  Please forgive me for sending one of my earlier law letters about that event.  I hope it gives you the hope that its memory often gives me.  We will get through this.

THE NIGHT THE LIGHTS WENT OUT IN CHAPEL HILL

May 1, 2007 

One of my dearest friends, Jeannie, was the music minister for a local church.  She had given me the score to a beautiful hymn from Australia.  After working on it for months, I could finally play it pretty well on my harp.  We decided that I would join with some professional musicians to play at her church’s Easter service. 

I was very nervous.  I didn’t want to embarrass myself in front of the other musicians.  I also knew that the church would be packed.  The Easter service is matched in attendance only by the Christmas service.  I wanted to do well for the congregants who would be there and I really didn’t want to let down my friend.  She would be singing that lovely hymn solo while I accompanied her on the harp.  I practiced hour after hour.

Shortly before Easter, Jeannie called to tell me that the priest had decided that the majority of the service would take place with the lights dim.  I wasn’t to worry, though, as I would be provided with a musician’s light.  I would have no trouble seeing. 

We met for our first practice.  The lights were dimmed and the tiny light worked well enough.  This was going to be a piece of cake.  A few days later, we all showed up for the service.  With our instruments tuned, we were ready to go.  Jeannie seated me between the piano player, who for some reason had a much larger light than the rest of us, and the cellist.  The church lights were low.  The people quietly entered the sanctuary, lit candles, and took their seats.  Everything was going to be perfect.

As the priest began speaking, the person in charge of the lights began to turn them lower and lower.  Soon, the lights weren’t just dim – they were out.  Only then did I realize that there were no windows in this sanctuary.  I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face, much less the harp.  My musician’s light, the size of one light on a Christmas tree, did nothing but cast shadows on the harp strings.   I was in really big trouble.

I leaned over to the piano player.
“Hey!” I whispered loudly. “I can’t see my strings!  You’re going to have to play that hymn for me.”
“No.”  She argued.  “The intro sounds much better on the harp.” 
There was no time for a musical debate.  The priest shot us a “hairy eyeball” for talking.

“OK”, I answered.  “I’ll play the intro and then you come in.  Deal?  Really, I can’t see the strings.”  She nodded in agreement as I tried to figure out how I could possibly play the intro.  Some of the most famous harpers in history were blind.  I was now going to join their ranks, if only for one tune.

My cue came and I launched into the beginning of the hymn.  Miraculously, I pulled off the introduction.  I sighed in relief.  Jeannie began to sing and I expected to hear the piano jump in.  But, no.  The piano player was looking up to the ceiling of the sanctuary, swaying back and forth.  She was apparently possessed by some spirit.  That’s why she didn’t see Jeannie’s eyes bugg out as she continued to sing solo. 

“Hey!” I whispered very loudly.  “Now would be a real good time to jump in.”

“Oh, yeah,” the pianist said as she snapped out of her reverie and began playing.

The remainder of the service went off rather well, although the violinist also gave up trying to play.  Her light was no better than mine.  Afterwards, the congregation began to file out.  An obviously emotional woman pushed through the crowd and as she got closer to me, I could see that she’d been crying.  Really, I thought, we weren’t that bad.

“I now know why the angels play the harp.  That was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard.” She reached to hold my hand.  “And the way you and the singer and the piano player arranged that last hymn – your timing was perfect.  It was just lovely.  Thank you so much.”

“Yes, ma’am.  I’m glad you noticed that.  We worked for hours just to get it right.  Thank you so much.”  I answered.

There was no way I was going to ruin that lady’s worship experience.  For my part, I was feeling fairly emotional that night too.  Some One had bailed me out of a potential disaster.  As so often happens in life, there is a power out there that can turn even our biggest problems into something beautiful and meaningful.  That power is with us now. 

Just listen for it.





No comments:

Post a Comment